Monday, August 1, 2016

A Group Presentation - Four ways!

Hi everyone,

Here are the sample compositions on "A Group Presentation" that have been written from four different perspectives.

A Group Presentation
Written as the Presenter
Setting & Trigger
            It was a dark and stormy day when we had our group presentation. It was a presentation on Heat Energy. I was really excited about it because I was presenting and I really love science.


Surprise/Complication & Critical Choice
            As we were getting ready for the presentation, Henry, my fellow presenter came to me. He told me that he had a sore throat. His throat was so painful that he could not even speak. He held his throat with one hand and gestured to it with his other as he coughed. What should I do? I wondered to myself. I decided to take on his part and present the entire project on my own.


Climax
            When it was my group’s turn to present, a loud clap of thunder shook the windows. My heart jumped to my mouth and I wondered if nature was reflecting my own nervousness. I clenched my fists and steeled myself for the presentation.

Reversal
            Surprisingly, the presentation went smoothly and by the end of my seven minute presentation the skies were clear and not a dark cloud was to be seen anywhere!


Resolution
            It was a terrifying yet exhilarating experience. I am definitely looking forward to my next opportunity to deliver a presentation.


Written as a Group member (who isn’t supposed to present, but later presents)
Setting & Trigger
            It was just another regular school day. The only special thing was that my group was giving a presentation on Heat Energy to the class. I wasn’t supposed to be presenting, however things didn’t go as planned.


Surprise/Complication & Critical Choice
            The presenter for my group, Gary, has a little accident during recess. He ate a bowl of extremely spicy Laksa and got a sore throat. Since he could no longer present, someone else had to take on the role of presenter. I looked to the other group member, Thomas, but he did not want to present on his own. So, we decided to split the presenting between the two of us, while Gary controlled the computer.

Climax
            Thomas and I went through the presenter’s script quickly and divided the work. We spent what little time we had practicing and hoped for the best. Our presentation was a little rough but it wasn’t too bad.


Reversal & Resolution
            Gary regretted eating the laksa and swore that he would not eat any spicy food before a presentation again. After that experience, all of us agreed to practice each other’s parts of future presentations just in case something similar happens again.


Written as a member of the Audience

Setting & Trigger
            I was really looking forward to school that day because my classmates were giving a presentation on Heat Energy. They had been preparing for it for several weeks and we were all excited to hear them present.

Surprise/Complication & Critical Choice
            During recess, just before the science presentations, I overheard them saying that Daniel couldn’t present because he had a sore throat. They needed a new presenter to take on his role. None of them were willing to help take Daniel’s place. I went up to them and asked if I could help present Daniel’s part. The group readily accepted my offer of help.

Climax
            I spent the rest of my recess practicing for the presentation and memorising the script. After practicing for a few rounds, it was time to return to class. I wasn’t totally prepared, but it was better than nothing. The presentation was slightly confusing as we barely had any time to rehearse.

Reversal & Resolution
            Even though things didn’t go as well as we hoped, the group still appreciated my help as they would have gotten zero points if no one presented Daniel’s part.  


Written as a Presenter with sore throat

Setting & Trigger
            After preparing for three whole weeks and memorising all my lines, I ended up not being able to present. Just twenty minutes before my presentation, I caught a terrible sore throat. I really regret eating that spicy bowl of laksa.

Surprise/Complication & Critical Choice
            My group was now short of a presenter. I wondered if I could present without using my voice, but with hand signs. My fellow presenter, Jeffrey, laughed at my ridiculous idea and said that I would have to find someone to switch roles with me. I went around desperately asking for help. Kelsey, my classmate, offered to help if I would treat her to a bowl of extra spicy laksa after school. I immediately agreed and gave her my script.

Climax
            Kelsey read the script quickly and tried to memorise it. We had a quick rehearsal with Kelsey taking my role. Jeffrey and Kelsey really hit it off and worked amazingly well together. In fact, I think Kelsey did a better job than I would have. Needless to say, the presentation went flawlessly and everyone gave our group a round of applause.

Reversal & Resolution
            The next day, I treated Kelsey to the promised bowl of extra spicy laksa. And guess what? It was Kelsey’s turn to have a terrible sore throat. Both of us swore not to eat spicy foods just before presentations.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment